Tuesday 18 December 2012


Badgerstoke on Astrology

I know that Astrology is dismissed by some members of the scientific community, and these are people who are supposed to keep an open mind on all things. My personal view is that it should be considered just as valid as its twin science of Astronomy. There are too many events where Astrological predictions have proved correct for it to be easily dismissed. I will give a couple of examples below that I hope will convince you of my point.

My first example is the case of our neighbour Miss Dingle who lives at number 12. She once read her horoscope in the local paper and it said that “she would have a lucky gain” and sure enough three months later she won ten pounds on the national lottery. That can’t be a coincident surely.

My second example is in my own family. My son Brian is away at University taking a degree in Modern Art with Media Studies. Brian is a Libra. He was born just after midnight in the early hours of 24th September which makes him a Libra by a matter of a few minutes but I’m sure that would have been enough time to stamp the Libra character traits on him. It is a sobering thought that if Mrs Badgerstoke had pushed just a little harder then he might have been a Virgo and a completely different person.

Anyway I have looked up the characteristics of Libra and found them to be: Social, Artistic, Vacillating, Intellectual and Communicative. It goes without saying that he is both Artistic and Intellectual being on an artistically bias course at university. I also know him to be Social and Communicative as he is normally to be found in the student’s bar most of the time, drinking and talking with his friends on a range of subjects. I had to look up Vacillating in the dictionary and found it to mean indecisive and hesitating. Like most young men of his age Brian knows absolutely everything about everything and will quickly give the definitive opinion on any subject at the drop of a hat (a real chip off the old block) and so I’m afraid that aspect of the standard Libra character doesn’t match, but four out of five isn’t bad.

So as you can see from my examples there is a lot to be said for Astrology and scientists dismiss it at their peril.

Mrs Badgerstoke does read her horoscope in the local paper each week and, as she is a God fearing woman, I thought I’d check with the vicar what the church’s view on Astrology was. Unfortunately he told me that they rank it alongside the other dark arts like witchcraft, yoga and veganism. But as Mrs Badgerstoke does enjoy reading her horoscope I decided that she would be willing to risk eternal damnation to continue doing so and therefore I didn’t tell her of the vicar’s opinion.

Also people shouldn’t assume that the heavenly bodies do not exert an influence on our lives. I did read in a learned journal (I think it was the Boy’s Book of Basic Science that I had for my tenth birthday but didn’t read at the time) that two bodies will exert an effect on each other proportional to their mass. Well I’m given to understand that the planet Jupiter has a very large mass and Mrs Badgerstoke is not a small woman and so it stands to reason that they must have an effect on each other. I can confirm that Mrs Badgerstoke certainly has an effect on me.

I am happy with good clean British Astrology with its signs based on random collections of stars but there are other systems as well which don’t seem to have the same proven validity. Take Chinese Astrology for example which has each year represented by a different animal such as the Rat, Baboon or Scaly Anteater. If you follow this then everyone born in the same year would have the same characteristics. So you might have a whole year where everyone was an Artist and nobody was a sportsman. This would play havoc with the school system and so I don’t think it can be true.

So I hope I’ve said enough to convince you of the validity of the science of British Astrology.

Badgerstoke’s Tip: Always take note of your Horoscope as sometimes it will be correct.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny. I was born in the Chinese years of the Sloth. This explains my inability to get out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Badgerstoke was born in the year of the Blue Whale which explains a lot.

    ReplyDelete